Chapter 1 Lesson 3
Rain Forests: dense
evergreen forest in a tropical area with an annual rainfall of at least 110 to
- Today the rain forest are in danger.
- Issues like the fate of the rainforests have faced
people throughout the ages.
- Decisions of the past have affected our lives and
decisions made today will affect people for ages to come.
process of clearing away trees or forests.
cut down trees for lumber.
land for grazing animals, growing crops, or building settlements.
- In ancient Rome, deforestation caused flooding.
- Deforestation is a global problem.
- Deforestation of the rain forest is a problem we
- Effects of deforestation:
plant and animal species that rely on the unique habitats found in rain forests
logging operations clear vast areas, topsoil is washed away, so nothing will
and burn method pollutes the air and may contribute to the “green house
effect,” the gradual warming of the earth’s atmosphere.
livelihoods of native people, such as those who extract material from rubber are
roots of tree and plants that sock up water are removed, flooding can result.
- Learning from past examples can help us solve the
problems of today.
Understanding the history of other cultures can help us solve problems in
today’s multicultural world.